Friday, October 24, 2008

An Informed Flu Shot...


My very passionate and logical, future-nurse cousin was very disturbed recently by the fact that I was receiving a flu shot. Her (completely valid) feelings are that those that receive flu shots are uninformed society-sheep that are propegating a super virus that will ultimately quickly and painfully wipe out the human race as we know it. My flu vaccine was likened to abuse of antibiotics and wasting electricity by not turning off lights. Now, this is fairly new, since the only time I tend to disagree with her is when she's mad at her nearly saintly boyfriend;)- but here is my informed and thought-out rebuttal- mainly based on my education and understanding of how the body works, since you can find arguments in either direction represented as ultimate fact.
First of all, I am aware of the risks of current medical intervention and especially the issues involved with bacterial mutation due to abuse of antibiotics. I am also aware that the flu viruses used in the annual vaccine is an educated guess and is not a sure shot against illness, especially since many winter illnesses are not influenza, but just mirror the symptoms. I am also aware that the viruses are grown in a chicken and that there is possibly mercury as a perservative in the vaccine.
First of all, the antibiotic argument - antibiotics and flu vaccines are not analogous. Antibiotics, in this instance are man made little soldiers that are intended to seek out and destroy bacteria. They are not always specific and destroy their target as well as helpful and natural bacteria, often causing an upset in your body chemistry. Two major problems are that they are over prescribed - for issues that are not always bacteria related, and their intended cycles are not completed by consumers. These factors essentially allow for a Darwinian "survival of the fittest" of bacteria, rewarding mutations that are resistant to standard antibiotics. Another issue is that you can catch the same bacteria many times without your body building a resistance to it - so in an absence of antibiotics (the enemy) bacteria need not mutate.
Viruses on the other hand, have only lasted the test of time because they constantly mutate - and have been doing so from the beginning. When a person catches a virus, their body NATURALLY developes antibodies to that virus. When you catch one strain of the flu, you will very likely, short of a compromised immune system, never get that strain again. That is why many strains develop and spread every year-vaccine or not. A vaccine is the actual (natural) virus - weakened or deadened, in my flu shot's case - intended to inspire my body to build antibodies to it. This is the EXACT same reaction my body would naturally have if I contracted these strains of the flu in "the wild", was on my back for 2 weeks, lost income, possibly missed important commitments, and risked complications.
I don't agree completely with all vaccines, and think over vaccination of young children needs to be more informed and better regulated. I haven't taken antibiotics for years, but if I develope a bacterial infection that my body doesn't fight off, I fully intend to get antibiotics and I hope to gawd that they work.
It would be fantastic if I didn't have to take precautions that were not 100% safe in order to protect myself. But that requires a gamut of social reconstructions that I garauntee aren't going to happen this winter. Workplaces would be clean and open air, endless time would be given for healing and recovery, alternative treatments would be inexpensive and readily available. Yes, someone is making money off of my flu shot, but the herbalist is making money too. And when you do your work, whether it is massively believed to help or hurt, you will make money, too. And tonight I will have fish for dinner, and very likely be exposed to more mercury than I was last night. And I will drive my car home, even though there is a chance that I will side swiped by a bus. Not all risks are uninformed, not all modern medicine is a conspiracy and I doubt there exists any issue that is black and white in this world, and a good argument always considers the other side.

8 comments:

Colleen said...

Well good job on killing us all. But I agree with you on this one, you are not creating a supervirus, and it will only help you with that strain. But that being said you know those shots are mainly for old people right?

Katie said...

Old people, young people, and people who are exposed to these people. The only year I haven't gotten the flu was the other time I got a flu shot...its worth it to me...

Anonymous said...

Mike Wood said...
"Daaaaaaaamn, boyyy! Lookadat FINE ass!"

Anonymous said...

OMG bastard you totally flipped around my points. I wasn't ever saying that you weren't informed, that was not my point....and the comparing it to "leaving the lights on" was my way of trying to say I think this is an ethics issue. I also think it's amusing that when I say anything lately people assume it is because of school. This debate we are having I have had for many years with quite a few people (starting with Rhonda trying to make me get a shot) and has nothing to do with anything I have learned over the last year, except for I understand more how the things that are common knowledge about the body work. I have always had these same exact thoughts about flu shots and vaccinations. I am well aware that anti-bacterial drugs are very different that anti-viral. I just think plain and simply that there is no reason to make vaccines for things that don't kill us, and in the process create strains of bacteria and viruses that are resistant to medication, and can kill people. I feel it goes along with this sick society, and the "take a pill for it" mentality that we have. Anyway I no longer give two fucks about it. Unless you have other things to add. I thought you said M Wood was talking about your ass! How am I missing this. Please tell me where to look, so I can clown him. Hope you are saving your pennies for Chicago! Oh that reminds me to call Aunt Carol about the f***ing. hahahahahahahahah

Katie said...

No flipping of points done. I said I don't believe this particular vaccination (which is not an anti-virus, but exposure to the virus itself to encourage the body to produce its own anti-virus)will, in and of itself, cause another strain of virus to be made. And instead of social theories to explain a biological theory, I used biological points.

Anonymous said...

1. I didn't post that "ass" comment up there. Some anonymous jack-ass did - he's been annoying me on my blog and now he's lashing out at my friends. He sucks.

2. I never get flu shots and I never get the flu. I drink a lot of water and eat my fruits and veggies. Done!

3. "Ask Aunt Carol about the f***ing?" Umm... Maybe I should just stop right now? Sounds like something I would be better off remaining ignorant about.

4. You wrote "first of all" twice, Dr. McCarthy.

Love ya, cuz!

MIKE: OUT!

Sarah Wood said...

I have an idea, let's bring this brawl to the Christmas parties!!! Annie get your guns... it's a tough match when opinionated McCarthy's are in the ring, and I love it ;-)

Katie said...

We already brought it to election night...plus, we don't wanna miss any of the pointless discussions OR drunk B!